Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Reflection


                After having been in Japan for a few months, I feel that my initial impressions of the society have changed quite significantly. I enjoy several aspects of the culture, however, I feel that some aspects of the Nationalism that are pretty much government regulation are negatively holding the society and minds of the people from progressing in an effective way. Japanese people are part of an extremely collectivist society, where often opinions are a reflection of a national view of an issue, and differing perspectives are criticized by the rest of society.
                One aspect of Japan that I particularly enjoy is the care with which tasks are efficiently performed. Going to restaurants, there are often devices that make ordering automated. In addition, the workers at restaurants and Izakayas offer a very warm setting in which customers are made to feel  very comfortable.
                The collectivist mind of Japan is often a scary thought, coming from such an individualistic society as America. It has its benefits as everyone is working for their own, as well as the common good of the Nation, or so it may seem. However, I feel that the idea of progress is defined by the power holders and  dictated towards the rest of the citizens.  I enjoyed watching videos that brought this issue to light, such as the documentary on Kimigayo and the teachers’ revolution against its requirement.


                I have really enjoyed observing and interacting with several people, and though I will never be a Japanese person in how they observe me, I’ve learned the rules and skills that will allow me to integrate into Japanese society through my use of honorific expressions in both gesture and language. 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad your time here in Japan has allowed you to think in different ways. Thank you for your efforts this semester. I was always happy to hear your opinions in class.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.